Friday, January 25, 2008

Train On

I finally had a decent day with my blood sugar. Maybe it was getting ridiculously high after all the food and birthday cake at Steve's last night. Anyway, I never once got low today which is amazing considering the week I've had. I actually followed all the advice from my doctor about cutting down my insulin levels before working out. Then just to be sure I ate the Hotpocket I found sitting out on the cabinet when I got home from work and took no insulin for that at all. The entire family went with me to the pool and to our surprise we found Steve's family there too.

Good things about swimming with Steve.

  1. He has a glucometer and I left all of mine at home.
  2. He made me swim really far.
  3. I didn't want to look silly with him there so I didn't cheat and use a pull buoy.
  4. Ashley, his wife, kept Emily and the kids busy while I swam for an hour.

My bs was at 170 when I started, then 140 at half a mile, and 101 when I finished.

I SWAM AN ENTIRE MILE. Steve says that's all I did but I swear he missed one of my laps, whatever.

Dudes, it was over a mile. A personal best. Oh and cold hotpockets hurt the belly.

I think I got this low blood sugar stuff back under control. Train On!

4 comments:

Anne Findlay said...

awesome!!!! congrat's on a great workout.

I use GU's (sports gel) before I swim and they never bother me. They only have carb's so digest really easily. They aren't as tasty as hotpockets, though, and may make you think of the good old diabetic gels (aka "camel snot" as I recall)

Brickhead said...

All said was true - I can attest. And it was over a mile - most people stop when they get to their goal - he (talking to dave in 3rd person) threw in some more for good measure. I also learned something about Dave and swimming. He says he can't swim but that is because he is too fast - he has all this upper body strength (John is always admiring that) from years of pulling on wakeboard tow ropes I assume...well, the muscle mass makes him top heavy and he sinks - so the only way to swim is to go fast.. I timed him on many half-laps and they were in the 15-17 second range. He's got the power to swim - as soon as his lungs catch up, he is going to be shack-pedo. It will be a bit depressing, because I saw yesterday that I am destined to be slowest out of the 3 booners...However, as long as I beat Michelle in the bike, its all good...

Michelle said...

I just want to go on record to say....I always use a pull buoy. The pull buoy is your friend. My feeling is that I reserve my legs during the swim for my bike and run. I don't use 'em. I let my wetsuit do my kicking.

Hey NINJA? beat me in the bike...ahhh... DREAM...AHN....

Gosh I'm funny.

Dave said...

So I guess it would be good to put on the wetsuit I got for Christmas and see how much it helps me float?