Saturday, January 5, 2008

Like Hansel and Gretel


So Thursday was supposed to be a pretty big workout day. I planned on Swimming for 45 minutes and then running for 45. It started off great. Using those pull bouys I think I could swim forever, and I am getting much better at staying afloat without them too. It just takes more work. Anyway it all started going downhill when I got out of the pool and headed to the locker room. I had no towel. No big deal. I dried off with my jeans and put on tons of running gear to head out into the snow and miserable wind chills. At this point I decided it might be a good idea to check my bloodsugar. 53 didn't seem too bad after all that swimming. Well I ate a Cliff bar and headed out. The bag with my keys, checker, and magic jellybeans was making a lot more noise than usual. I thought it must just be low on extra goodies so everything was just bouncing around more than usual. Nope. My bag had been open the whole time. About 2 miles into it I wasn't feeling great so I stopped to checked again and found the zipper wide open. This time my sugar was 40, crap. My keys and meter were there, but my magic jellybeans were missing. To make matters better it was also getting dark. Think, think, think. Ok-walk instead of run. Look for jellybeans along the path. Conserve energy eat everything you find. I found a pack of my contacts but no beans. I took a short cut off the path and through the snow, doh. Stupid birds must have eaten all my jellybeans. I did survive. I haven't taken a run since. Maybe tomorrow. At least I didn't get caught by a witch.

2 comments:

Brickhead said...

Ok, buddy - I'm sure everyone else will think it is kind of crazy to swim, not dry off, and run out in sub-freezing weather...without magic jellybeans...but that's because they don't realize that if worst came to worst - you could do a deep squat or two and you'd be fine... besides, the river is full of muskrat and they are really good eatin...except for the fact that protein will take a bit longer to bring up the ol blood sugar.

Anonymous said...

This is classic "Dave"...the stuff legends are made of!