Sunday, February 3, 2008

some excuses for not training

It's been a rough week. I haven't done a ton of training and my bloodsugar has been too high.

So here's a few things that can make it hard to get in a good workout.

  1. My wife Emily got sick and had to spend the night in the hospital- something about being super dehydrated and extremely pregnant.
  2. I thought I was getting sick too because my sugar was high for 3 days and didn't want to come down.
  3. Really I was high because my canula was bent. If you don't have an insulin pump just know that a bent canula means you are not getting much insulin.
  4. There was an ice storm.

5. And yesterday after eating some fast food and preparing to take a swim I really did get sick. Isn't it great when you eat a meal, bolus (take your insulin to counter all the food you just ate) and then puke up all that food. All of a sudden there is tons of insulin hanging out in the blood stream and very little sugar. Not a good situation. Anyway I survived. I put the picture of the ice storm because I didn't think anyone wanted to see me getting sick and Emily wouldn't let me put any sick pictures of her on the web.

All that aside I still worked out more than I did last year at this time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Dave, I thought i was packed
and ready to come play with Elias and Faith while PQ makes her
debut, but maybe I am coming to
take care of you and Em?
Sorry you are all so sick.

Anonymous said...

When adversity strikes I can't help but remember...
"it's what's between your sternum and your spine (heart) that matters"

Sid Fritz

You've got it. Keep pushing. Stay on the offensive!

Michelle said...

I understand flu. I had a 104 temp and was the hated airline passenger, flying to Phoenix sick because I'd rather be sick on a plane escaping 40,000 feet of snow, than mulling in it covered with six blankets and Theraflu.

Also, as a mom I can say, there is nothing worse than watching your exact scenario of bolus, eat, puke in their little diabetic boy...can you say "popsicles"????

PS I would have liked the pictures. What?