Thursday, February 14, 2008

I Changed My Lancet


In World News today, I changed my lancet. It's a yearly event that should probably take place at least twice a year. In case you don't know, a lancet is the little sharp poker thing that you stab your finger with to get a blood sample. I think the companies that make the things suggest that you change the lancet every time, right. Cause I have time for that and I'm extremely organized. So during all this training for the Ironman in September has reintroduced me to a ton of diabetes issues. Right now I'm trying to figure out what all these pump and meter companies are doing to actually help me. I got this new meter from school that came with a new lancet device. It was infuriating. It has a lancet cartride with like ten lancets in it. The stupid issue is that you can only use each lancet once! They claim it is for hygene or comfort or some other ridiculous reason I'm sure. However we all know it is so we diabetics will actually have to spend more money on lancets. It seems that all these companies try to sell their lancet devices and meters by saying that they take less blood or have sharper lancets that won't hurt or tear the skin. They even sell these things that can test blood from parts of the body other than the finger tips. Sounds cool if you are into marketing and don't have diabetic fingers that could care less what the lancet feels like to people that don't have super calloused fingers. I tried to test on my arm a few years ago and ended up feeling the test and having a huge bruise on my arm. Kind of like the old medi injector that injected insulin with air instead of a needle. I used it for months and acted like it was nice because I figured it had cost my parents so much. At least that one was a nice idea.


So what do we really need as diabetics?


How about a meter (continous?) that would take readings and instantly send the data through satelite or cell to a computer database to track us.


If it could do that how about it could talk to my pump and graph my basal levels and boluses along with my bloodsugar.


Could we get heartrate thrown in there as well?


How about a scanner like at the grocery store to scan the food we eat too. Or at least record perceived carb intake.


This seems like all the stuff a program would need to figure out each diabetics formula and it would happen continously and learn.


Then it could adjust your pump or at least give suggestions.


Is it possible to inject glucose as well? I am tired of my meter asking "Do you need a snack?" It would be great if it was actually offering me a snack instead of asking a question that is obvously yes. I mean my sugar is low. Of course I need a snack. Who added that feature?
What about making the entire system waterproof?
I bet it would cost like 50 grand. Can you feel the love? Happy Valentines Day.
Any other ideas out there?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya bro. I think it is obvious that the medical field especially pharmaceuticals has become much more about the money than a genuine love and concern for peoples well being. Not to mention the fact that the people who pay for their own services also have to pay for those who (mostly for poor decision making, lack of planning or laziness) can't pay for their own.
If the time and money spent creating new versions of the same old control methods were spent on finding a cure you might not be diabetic. Not that I dont apprieciate doctors and researchers but I think a little integrity and common sense would go a long way.

zircon said...

Uh...

Dave I'm pretty sure the tester your nurse gave you was for use for the school which does include you but also your diabetic students, hence the one time use lancet so that each use is clean no matter who uses it. Other than that I'm pretty much on board. I must say though the thought of what might accumulate on your lancet throughout a year's worth of sticks is a little disconcerting to say the least. Don't get me wrong as a die hard cheap bastard myself I applaud your frugal ways, however, sometimes a line must be drawn. Not that I would have any clue where that line is myself. (what stale gummy bears I tried to pawn off on my diabetic friend?)

Brickhead said...

Don't listen to Zircon! He's an IP! My lancet has at least 3 years on it! I'm going for 10. Its all about endurance, baby...pain is to be expected. I may even take the dremmel to it some day to put an edge back on it. Or not. Oh, and I've been on the same box of syringes and pen needles for the last year.

Michelle said...

Once again, you guys are a mother's worst NIGHTMARE! You don't change your lancets??? Your needles????? What am I going to do with you???? Rotate your testing sites, change your lancets, and for God's sake AHN, get some new syringes!

I want to comment on my son's CGM (continuous glucose monitor). It talks to his pump 288 times per day, automatically. It may not shoot the results via satelite (someday, James Bond), but I can tell you he can just place his pump next to my laptop and via infrared, it downloads the data to the website and tells me his trends and along with my pump reps brain power, it tells me changes I can make to make his life a little better.

It does not, however, take out the garbage, shovel the 80 inches of snow we have received this year, or keep an eye on my 14 year old daughter.

And because I have trouble keeping a straight face, when you said "super calloused" I wanted to say "fragalistic expealadocious." Or whatever. :P