Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Thanksgiving Training


I had a couple great workouts over Thanksgiving. Both were with my brother, Nate. Hanging with him was by far the best part. You might know how it is being with tons of family for a holiday meal. You know a couple of those people real well and the rest of them well, I kdo good just remembering their names. They are great people but somehow it just turns out a little stressful. A twenty mile bike ride is a great way to deal with the stress. Especially when it comes between thansksgiving meal #1 at house A and thanksgiving meal #2 at house B. Throw in the fact that we didn't really know exactly how to get there and our wives did a drive by at just the point we were really getting lost and it was getting dark. excellent ride. I should also brag on Nate. It was his second bike ride and he got honked at and ran off the road. Pretty cool.
Our second workout came on Saturday. I felt like a machine. Down near Durham they have this great trail called the American Tobacco Trail. It used to be a railroad, but the rails are gone. It was flat, padded with pine straw and not quite completed. I felt like I could have run forever. It had access points every few miles and would make a great place to stage a long distance training run. The fact that it wasn't finished yet made it even more fun. There were two bridges we crossed that had no platform, just poles and supports. We ran a little over 6 miles and I had no knee pain at all. The last quarter mile we ran way fast. Nate latter told me he was trying to see if he could make himself puke. No dice.
More exciting news. Our van engine died on the way home. I got 2 extra days off because of snow, and I got a staff card for ASU that lets me park anywhere on campus and gets me into the workout facilities. Also after noting our new fatness in our Thanksgiving pics, Em has put us on a diet. I should be a machine by our race in Janurary.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Dave, Glad you enjoyed your American Tobacco Trail (ATT) visit here in NC. Come back in May-June, when the 2 railroad trestles are re-decked and that trail section is resurfaced. There are at least 2 road races already using completed portions of the ATT. Paths to the future, DurhamDave. triangletrails.org

zircon said...

What is that space on the road between the two white lines y'all are riding on in the picture??? No car could fit in that thing. Is that, gasp, a bike lane??? What a concept. Too bad we've only got two lane death roads here in the mountains. Great post and pic. Glad you were able to be active.