Monday, November 10, 2008

Into the Gorge


I had a really fun weekend that almost ended bad. Well it did end poorly from a diabetic perspective, but other than that it was amazing. My church took about 25 guys down into Linville Gorge on Saturday and most of us stayed to spend the night. I took the chance to take my 4 year old son, Elias, on his first backpacking trip. He's been a little scared of bears since our first father son tent camp out at my brother's house, but he got through it and even asked for a bedtime bear story. This place really is a wilderness and a great place to seek God. But its also a place you have to be on top of your diabetes management. I did pretty well during the actual trip and then totally messed up the rest of the day Sunday. My meter was in my backpack, and I didn't feel like getting it. My Sensor was recharging and I just didn't put it back on as quickly as possible. I ate pancakes for dinner and took what was later obviously way too much insulin. After tucking the kids in bed for the night I went out to the car to grab some paperwork and woke up on the couch. I haven't talked to my wife to figure it all out yet. not sure how long I was absent from the land of the living. I'll tell you one thing. Lowboy absolutely kicked my tail. Maybe it was more of a strangle hold. As I started coming to, I could here Emily talking to Nate on the phone about when the twitching started. I tried to ask a question but she told me when the watch I was holding beeped she would get back to me. Sounded pretty bad so I passed back out for a while. Can I say thanks to Nate and Em? Thanks! Most everything this morning has been a little slow motionish. Note to self, CHECK YOUR SUGAR! Well it could have been worse, like the night before.

1 comment:

Brickhead said...

Ah, Dave - it sounded a bit cloudy - but I guess that is no surprize - how did you get from the gorge to your couch? I'll have to call you. Wow. Lowboy sounds pissed off at you for that sub-6 A1C!