Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Experimenting with Endurance and Diabetes

With around 80 days to go til Ironman Wisconsin, this Triabetic has decided to do some experimentation. I read somewhere about other athletes being upset that we could inject extra insulin to keep the lactic acid at bay.
If only it were that easy. I've been exercising with less insulin too keep my bloodsugar in a respectable range and I have also been feeling that ketone feeling a little too. So, I'll just take extra insulin and eat alot i decided. this was a great recipe for the diabetic rollercoaster.
I ran 14 miles with Steve the other morning and didn't have that ketone feeling because I was wasted low and couldn't feel much of anything. As the plan went I was supposed to increase my basal gradually throughout the run and eat a bunch. But before the run I got high so I shot like 3 units and well if you know a diabetic you know where this is going. I got low and hungry. So I ate tons of gels, and my sugar stabilized in the mid 60's. Then I went home and took a nap. Got a monster calf cramp( i swear my calves have doubled in size) which woke me up and after working it out I checked my blood. 310 is too high so I took a bunch of insulin. An hour and a half later I am starving because all i've eaten all day is gel. But my number says 366. At least it wasn't 666. I can't stand it anymore and am about to take tons more insulin but I call Steve and ask for advice and he says eat lunch and take just enough to cover it. It worked. A few hours later I was down to 200.
I should have learned something from all this right? Well yesterday I went to go swimming but was at 310 so I took a big dose and got in the pool. 45 minutes later I swimming at 51 so I go and eat lunch at BK (should of gone to mcdonald's) I eat one of those combo meals take less insulin than I thought I needed and then went for a ride and drank most a scoop of perpetuem. Never got my sugar back above 70 but my legs were feeling great so I got off the bike and went for a run and drank a cocktail of vitalyte perpetuem and tropical gel. My legs feel so strong sometimes when I'm low. I ran fast. Went home and guess what I ended up getting super high again. Go figure.
Well here we go agian. I'm off for a swim.

3 comments:

Anne Findlay said...

dave do you use a pump?

Brickhead said...

What kind of pump are you talking about, Annie?

Sorry - its a joke that John M and Dave would appreciate...along with most other males

Michelle said...

I'm not male and I think this is quite funny. :)

I heard Bob Schrank talk recently (he is team type 1) and he said they get a lot of grief because their A1c levels are so great, they can't possibly be diabetic, and the insulin usage is an unfair advantage. I'm sure diabetics everywhere have a needle or two they would like to stick in anyone who is that uneducated about the disease and it's glorifying happiness that comes with it.

Dave- as you get closer to IM, you'll want to come up with a favorite foods list and drinks and stick to it - no big surprises on race day. NOT the day to try pancakes with syrup before swimming if you've never done it.


PS You can get those pumps right at Walgreens and they are much cheaper than insulin pumps.