Saturday, June 7, 2008

Endurance Swimming with Diabetes


Maybe that title will get some hits. I've been on vacation for almost a week now. Me and the fam have gone to see my dad in Nashville and stayed several days at my mom's. It's officially summer and training for Ironman has been a top priority. All winter long and even most of the spring I have been somewhat concerned about swimming 2.4 miles. The two big issues were dealing with my bloodsugar for over an hour without my pump and actually being able to swim that far. Well, this week has been amazing. In fact the swim is probably the most comfortable leg of the race right now. Me and Dr. Matt have been wrestling with exactly how to deal the insulin part of the swim for quite some time, and it is all coming together. In the pool I have felt a little pathetic using a pull buoy even though everyone said the wetsuit would help float me anyway. Well the first day I was here I swam about 3/4 mile in my wetsuit and was blown away with how much it helped. The next morning I woke up adjusted my pump and swam over 2 miles while my brother followed me in a canoe. It didn't even wear me out too bad. I had a little hammer gel half way and my sugar was around 1oo when I got out of the water. I am so pumped.
Rock Island Tennessee- a great place to train run out of test strips make crazy breakthroughs do a backyard half.
More to come.

1 comment:

Michelle said...

I am so proud of you!!!!! I spent the last 4 weeks of IM training running around Lake Monona and mentally defeating the lake, reciting to self, "You can't beat me." I was so daunted by the 2.4 and LOOK AT YOU! You are already doing it.

Wow. You are going to KILL the 140.6.

Rock on.