Wednesday, November 28, 2007

A quick Intro

Before we get too deep into this whole training thing, I'd like to let everyone know where I'm coming from.
I'm a life long diabetic- age 30 diagnosed at 2
I've been somewhat athletic my entire life.
I tried to play football in high school but diabetes got in the way-not to mention i stunk
I wrestled and was ok most of the time for that sport.
I never liked running
I went mountain biking a few times as a kid.
I've never been on a road bike except to test one at the store the other day.
I grew up on a river wakeboarding and skiing. You have to be able to swim if you don't wear a lifejacket all the time.
I taught myself to snowboard in college and go every chance I get- about once a year.
So I used to be in decent shape but I have never attempted anything like this.
I couldn't pass it up. Steve made it sound like such a great oppurtunity and I was questioning in my mind and out loud with Emily (my amazing wife- dude I seriously swam upstream on that one-which makes me think I can definately swim flat for 2.4 miles) and Emily pulls an Adrian and goes "Dave you can do this." I'm too much of a dedicated Rocky fan for that not to work.
So now I'm in. I am going to do the Ironman.
Because...
diabetics can
my family needs me to be healthy
those insurance companies need to see how much stuff we really use
I will eventually run my big mouth about my views on research
I am sure God has me here for reasons I can't even forsee
I'm In

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, the world gets to know how Dave came to be - its like "Batman Begins" - well written

Lowboy didn't get to me - but I still didn't run yesterday - going in a few minutes - will try to go long tomorrow from Valle Crucis...interested?

Brickhead said...

Oh, its me

Anonymous said...

You rock Dave- Change the triathlete to Ironman!

Chop in MD