Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Ironman at Last

I did it! Over the past year I went from being an out of shape, lazy, sit on the couch, out of control diabetic all the way to Ironman. I will be posting some pictures sometime in the near future. Until then let me just tell you. It was a brutal pain fest. My 2.4 turned more like 3 mile swim was great. I got a little low and a little off course and still made it out of the water in an hour and a half. Right at 2 hours I was on my bike and made the 112 miles in 7 hours. That was a pretty fast pace for me. The course wasn't near as bad as I had expected, but apparently it wore me out because when I started the run I had a way too familiar feeling in my knee. That IT Band was acting up again and within a few miles of the marathon course I was walking faster than I could run. I was devastated and praying to God to help me finish. About that time I found Ems, my wife, and she let me know real fast that if I kept up a brisk walking pace I would have plenty of time to finish. Well I walked for miles pretty fast, but by mile 19 my feet were severely blistered and I was just creeping along. Dude it was so lonely those last few miles. Every step was excruciating. But at 16 hours and 15 minutes I crossed the finish line. I am an Ironman.

5 comments:

zircon said...

Yes you are and one heck of an inspiration to more people than you will ever know. Watching you gut it out is a memory I will hang on to for along time to come. Thanks for putting me and other Insulin Producers in our proverbial places. I for one will not be able whine or complain about anything without thinking about the gauntlet you and the rest of the Triabetes team have thrown down. Eternally unworthy and forever in admiration...

Zircon...
Z

jpnairn said...

I am honored to be the first to congratulate you here on your blog. Thanks for inspiring the rest of us, Ironman!

Michelle said...

I am a woman of many words usually. I was hoarse from screaming at all of you before you even got out of the water. I'm so proud of all of you. Screaming across the finish line at Emily and Nate mouthing "600 yards!!!!" and banging on the boards....etched forever, baby.

I'd give up my race # any day if the reward is to watch this team finish. Worth it.

Swimming with all of you Thursday was my highlight for the record.

Love,
Your Executive Insulin Producer
M

Anonymous said...

That is so cool

Anonymous said...

Great job Dave!

Wallace